Thursday, July 9, 2009

ManMade Profile: Flat Patterns, LLC

Pug Coffee Table

Pug Coffee Table

Name: Kevin

Shop Name: Flat Patterns, LLC

Blog/Website: Etsy

Location: St. Paul, Minnesota

A little bit about Costello:
Furniture became my focus after I began reupholstering trashed chairs and couches to decorate my home the low budget way. Five years of Detroit dumpster diving for upholstery projects eventually bagged me a 1950s Heywood-Wakefield Pull-Up Chair. My blond birch find got me looking to past furniture designs and the Modernist philosophy that I would eventually embrace.

At the time I was designing seats for the automotive industry. I spent my days developing car seats, modeling all the various CAD (computer aided design) parts that defined the seat structure. At night I tore apart easy chairs, studying their wooden structures, wondering if current car seat technology might make better furniture.

A Philosophy degree from the University of Wisconsin in Madison provided me conceptual tools. I learned design process at The College of Creative Studies in Detroit. A restless nature kept me pursuing varied designer jobs. It also provided me a global perspective, as I traveled overseas while doing design work for Opel in Germany, Isuzu/GM in Japan and GM in Brazil.

The car seat program I’d been working on went to production. My house was stuffed full of reupholstered couches and chairs. It was time to move on and give fuller expression to the skills I’d acquired. I moved to Minnesota to take advantage of the tremendous woodworking resources in the Twin Cities area, hooked my computer up to a CNC router and opened my studio.


Exploded Long with Inlay

Exploded Long with Inlay


Arch Coffe Table in White

Arch Coffe Table in White


Mushroom Side Table

Mushroom Side Table


No comments: