Monday, February 15, 2010

wooden clock making

 
It was inspired by the recent documentary on Kit Williams to look into wooden clock making. Also, I thought it would be an excellent test of the CNC router I built over Christmas.
So after a week of learning about ramping, lead in and out, cutting paths and other engineering type stuff I finally got all the parts together to start assembling my clock.
(The basement is currently swamped with sawdust, and failed gears…)


There are lots of plans for clocks out there, but in the end I went with one of the Brian Law designs.
At the moment the post holes I cut do not line up with the gears, so I need to rework them….


I finally got some good carbide end mill bits for my gantry router – seriously don’t wast your time with the Dremel cutting bits, they just heat up and burn the material you are cutting. I bought some 1/8″ 2 flute spiral end mills. The cutting is really clean now – and no scorching.
This is a 60 tooth gear for the clock I’m building. I always told myself that the first thing I would build if I got a CNC router would be a clock….








by steve

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Took me time to read the whole article, the article is great but the comments bring more brainstorm ideas, thanks.

- Johnson